The Okuma Makaira Elite Lever Drag Saltwater Reel’s uncompromising design, construction, drag and performance truly gives big game anglers the upper-hand when battling heavy-hitting gamefish like billfish, shark and marlin. Thanks to its 6061-T6 machined aluminum frame with forged side plates, the rock-solid, two-speed Makaira Reel provides unyielding strength and integrity when under heavy pressure, ensuring all internal components stay aligned.
The Makaira features Okuma’s specialized carbonite Dual Force Drag (DFD) system which is mounted on the right side of the spool in order to bring all the mechanical workings together to maximize alignment and durability. The DFD system was specifically designed around a Pull Bar Drag System which, unlike other reels with a Push Bar Drag System, increases drag pressure while reducing side load pressure to improve heat dissipation for long-term smoothness and performance. At the heart of the DFD system is a custom-made thrust bearing that absorbs side load pressure on ball bearings. This allows anglers to fish heavy drag settings without handle binding.
Gearing and Shafts
The Makaira Elite Lever Drag Reel utilizes helical cut main and pinion gears that engage more gradually than straight cut or spur gear teeth, resulting in improved gear meshing and overall smoothness. The main gears, pinion gears, drive shaft and spool shaft are machine cut from 17-4 stainless steel. This hybrid steel provides excellent corrosion and heat resistance along with superior strength.
Gear Shifting Housing
The Makaira’s two-speed shifting mechanism is housed in a heavy-duty, 6061-T6 grade aluminum housing with ported exterior. The shifter function features an oversized shift button to make shifting easier for all anglers regardless of finger size.
Engineered with four precision EZO ball bearings (80W11 has six ball bearings), the Makaira Reel uses ABEC-5 grade bearings for precision performance in all conditions. ABEC-5 bearings deliver friction free spinning, improved casting distance and reduced tension while live bait fishing. Plus, the Makaira Reel is designed with a stainless steel thrust bearing which absorbs side load pressure and allows the handle to crank freely under heavy loads.
- 6061-T6 machined aluminum frame with forged side plates
- Carbonite Dual Force Drag (DFD) system
- Helical cut gears for extreme smoothness and gear meshing
- Gold anodized two-speed gear shifter housing
- Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
- Double dog, proprietary silent anti-reverse system
- Ratcheting drag lever and drag cam for precise drag setting
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- CRC: Corrosion Resistant Coating process
- Patented spool pin system for use with braided or mono lines
- Custom designed thrust bearing—alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
- 4-pc. ABEC-5 precision Sapporo stainless steel rubber sealed ball bearings
- MK-80WII features 6-pc. Sapporo ball bearings
- Patented T-Bar handle with Easy Roll graphite insert on all models
- Heavy duty stainless steel ratcheting clicker system
- Heavy duty, precision stainless steel drive and spool shafts
- Type-II gold anodized frame, side plates, spool, drag lever and handle
- Open top frame design on MK-10II, 15II, 20II, 50II
- Lug and plug system on all open top reel models
- Machined thumb rest on rear cross bar for improved ergonomics
- Forged aluminum full hard anodized reel foot and reel clamp
- Machined etched Marlin logo on left side plate
- Precision placement of drain holes maximizes water removal from reel
- Special screw ports around side plate screws reduce water/corrosion buildup